Monday, September 1, 2008

What Happens In Texas Was Lucky To Get Here In The First Place

Ever since we moved to Texas, we've noticed a bit of a lag in receiving mail from the United States Postal Service. It's most noticeable with greeting cards. An event will pass and a family member will call to ask us if we got the card. We'll say "no" and then about a week later the card will show up.

This lagging mail phenomenon (LMP) was most apparent earlier this year when my grandfather sent me a check. Actually, he ended up sending three checks. I have yet to receive two of them. Then, in May I went on a business trip to Macon, Georgia. Preparing for the trip, I noticed my corporate credit card was about to expire. I called the credit card company to find out when I would be receiving my new card: "Oh that would have gone out in March". They ended up canceling the card and issuing a new one.

We finally got that credit card that was sent in March. It came Friday. This is what happens to mail in Texas.



Here's the letter printed on the outside of the plastic bag they sent us our mail in. I've added my comments in parentheses.

Dear Postal Customer:

The enclosed was found loose in the mails or has been damaged in handling in the Postal Service (no kidding).

We realize your mail is important to you and you have every to expect it to be delivered intact and in good condition (I would certainly hope so!). The Postal Service makes every effort to properly handle the mail entrusted to it. However, occasional loss or damage may occur (ya think?).

Our organization handles over 177 billion pieces of mail annually, (and sometimes fire happens) and depends on mechanical systems to process this large volume. Loss and/or damage can occur if envelopes are not sealed, mail is insecurely enveloped, or envelopes contain bulky enclosures (did they just blame this on me?).

The Postal Service is committed to the improvement of our processing methods to minimize occurrences such as the enclosed (so do they carry fire extinguishers on their trucks now?). We appreciate your concern over the handling of your mail (concern? this isn't concerning, it's outrageous!) and sincerely regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

Sincerely,


MANAGER DISTRIBUTION OPERATIONS

San Antonio Processing & Distribution Center

1 comment:

tilli said...

A whole new meaning for "Hotmail."